Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Sweet and Sour Chicken over Rice
I was in the mood for some Chinese food and what a great way to make an easy dish for hungry children. We had roasted a chicken in the oven and this was what was left over.
Left over roasted chicken ( 2 chicken breasts cut up)
1-2 cups rice prepared according to directions on package
Sweet and Sour Sauce ingredients
1 cup distilled white vinegar
8Tbs no high fructose corn syrup ketchup
2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup apple juice no sugar added
1 1/2 cups white sugar ( you can use agave or honey if you prefer)
2 Tbs arrowroot powder
1/4 cup Tamari sauce (or you can use Coconut Aminos)
1) Cook rice according to package directions and set aside.
2) Cut up your left over chicken breasts to desired size.
3) In a medium pot on the stove over high heat add all sweet and sour sauce ingredients with the exception of arrowroot powder.
4) Boil on the stove until reduced some and then add arrowroot powder. Sauce is very thin and tastes fantastic.
5) Put rice in a bowl or plate, add chicken and then pour sauce and ENJOY!