October is going to be a FANTASTIC month filled with recipes from sweet treats to awesome seasonal meals. This weeks theme is "Are you my Mummy?" which includes themed treats and foods! Below you will see two different recipes mummy cupcakes and healthy candy corn treat. Don't forget to go and visit Better Batter and check out the Mummy Dogs recipe!
Mummy cupcakes make a GREAT edition to any kids Halloween classroom. I made these last year for our kids and I didn't see a single one back!
Ingredients for cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups Better Batter Flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar*
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup Coconut Milk **
1/2 cup oil
24 white cupcake liners
1 bag chocolate chips
1 bag of Wholesome Sweeteners Powdered Sugar***
1lb room temperature butter
1tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut milk
Directions for cupcakes:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
3) In a mixer add eggs and beat for about 10-20 seconds and gradually add sugar and continue to beat about 30 seconds. Continue to beat and add vanilla and oil.
4) Reduce mixer speed to slow and add half of the flour, then milk and then rest of the flour and end with the milk. Beat until just combined and do not over mix.
5) The batter will be thin and pour into cupcake pan that has cupcake liners preferably white liners.
6) Bake cupcakes in the pre-heated oven for 12-14 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7) Cool in pan for 1-2 minutes and then move to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely before frosting.
Directions for frosting:
1) Place the butter in your mixer and add your powdered sugar and beat and continue to add powdered sugar until the mixture is really dry.
2) Add the vanilla to the dry mixture and then add coconut milk to the mixture 1Tbs at a time until desired consistency.
3) Now take a pipping bag and use the basket weaving tip. Now have FUN you want to leave a little space for the eyes. You just take the pipping bag and place frosting across the cupcake using straight lines, crooked lines or any lines you would like. Now take 2 chocolate chips and place the point side into the cupcake and VIOLA you have a mummy cupcake!
Healthy Candy Corn Treats
This idea came from Pinterest and I figured it is an EASY treat that I can take to our kids school. Wanted to share this simple recipe with when you want a sweet treat that is easier on the waist line.
Ingredients for Candy Corn Treats:
1 can pineapple tidbits in pineapple juice (or fresh pineapple cut small)
1 can mandarin oranges (or fresh mandarin oranges peeled)
1 can whipped topping (see below for directions for FRESH and stable whipped topping)
Directions for Candy Corn Treats:
1) Place pineapple on the bottom of your cup. Now add the mandarin oranges on top and then top the fruit with whipped cream. ENJOY!
Fresh Whipped Topping Ingredients:
1-8oz package cream cheese at room temp
1-16oz container heavy cream
Agave Nectar - sweeten to your liking
Fresh Whipped Topping Directions:
Place the room temp cream cheese into a mixer and add the heavy cream. Use the wire whisk attachment and slowly start whipping these two ingredients together. Gradually turn the speed up on your mixer. Continue to increase your mixers speed until your whipped topping is almost stiff. Add your Agave Nectar to your mixture and continue to beat until the whipped topping is stiff. This mixture is very stable and will not break down in the fridge.
* The sugar in the cupcake recipe you can substitute Agave Nectar or Honey you just need to reduce the amount of milk by 1/4 cup that you put into the mixture.
** We use a lot of Coconut Milk in our house and you can use the type of milk you have in your home.