It was my birthday on July 3rd and I was really wanting coconut as I had some sweetened shredded coconut in the house and I wanted to use it. This was a PERFECT combination of chocolate and coconut cream.
1 box Better Batter Chocolate Cake mix (Gluten Free)
2 1/2 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
3/4 cup sugar (or you can sub agave or honey)
1/4 cup Better Batter All Purpose Flour
5 egg yolks
2 tsp Gluten Free vanilla extract
1-1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1 oz grated semi sweet chocolate
1. Prepare cupcakes according to the directions on the box for the cupcakes.
2. While the cupcakes are cooking take out a heavy bottom pan and put 2 1/2 cups coconut milk and 3/4 cup sugar and bring to a boil.
4. While the milk is boiling mix your 1/4 cup flour to 1/2 cup milk so that it makes a slurry. It will be thick.
5. In a separate bowl place your 5 egg yolks and after the coconut milk and sugar are boiling temper your eggs by slowly adding the hot coconut milk to the eggs while constantly whisking the eggs. Now add your milk and flour mixture to the tempered eggs and return to the stove.
6. Continue to stir continuously until the mixture is pudding thickness. Once the mixture has thickened about 5-7 minutes remove from heat and mix in your shredded coconut, vanilla and let cool to room temperature.
7. Once your cupcakes have cooled down you want to make a hole in the middle of your cupcake. Only go 1/2 way into your cupcake and remove that portion and set aside. (See following pictures).
As you can see in this picture the biscuit cutter scored a perfect circle and then I used a small fork to scoop it out.
In this picture you can see I have dug out some of the cupcake but not all of it I left 50% f it in there just enough so that I can fill it in with coconut cream
8. Take your cream and pipe it into the middle of your cupcake. After you pipe or spoon in your coconut cream mixture take your semi sweet chocolate and grate a little over the top of your cupcake.