Monday, June 24, 2013
Black Forrest Cake
2 boxes of Better Batter Chocolate Cake Mix
6 eggs (divided)
1 cup oil ( divided in 1/2 cups)
2 1/2 cups HOT water (divided into 1 1/4 cups)
2 cans Oregon Trail Sweet Cherries
1-16oz container heavy cream
1-2 Tbs Arrowroot powder
1oz semi sweet chocolate bar shredded
Agave Nectar or Honey
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degree's if using metal or glass pans and 325 degree's if using dark or non-stick coated pans.
2)Place either parchment paper or wax paper on the bottom of your baking pans. I used 2-8inch pans placing one box of mix in each pan.
3) Place 1 box of mix in a bowl, add 3 eggs and 1/4 cup oil. Now add the 1 1/4 cup HOT water and mix the batter at the same time and be careful not to over mix. Pour into prepared pan and repeat this procedure for box #2.
4) Place the cakes in the oven for 25-35 minutes. Cake is done when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5) While your cake is baking in the oven drain your cherries allowing the juice to drain in a bowl. Take about 1/4 cup of the juice and stir in 1Tbs arrowroot powder. Now mix this arrowroot powder juice the remaining juice and place on the stove at a Medium to Medium High heat until it is pie filling consistency.
6) Once you have pie filling consistency add in your cherries and pour into a bowl to cool. Get the cherries to room temperature and then place in the refrigerator to cool.
7) Once the cakes are cooked place on wire cooling racks for about 10-15 minutes and remove the cakes from the pans. Place the cakes on the cooling racks.
8) Now place your mixer and your mixing blade in the freezer and chill for about 30min - 1hr. Once chilled remove from the freezer and put your heavy cream in the bowl and whip until it forms stiff peaks. Add agave nectar to your desired sweetness.
9) Assemble the cake once the cake has completely cooled. If your cake is not completely cooled you will end up with a cake that slides and it will be a mess.
10)Take one cake and place on the bottom and take your cherry mixture and place about 1/2 on the cake. Next you want to take your whipped cream and cover the cherries.
11) Now place the 2nd chocolate cake on top and quickly cover the entire cake with the whipped cream. Place some whipped cream in a pipping bag with Wilton Tip #1M and place stars all around the top of the cake and the very bottom of the cake as this will help hold in the cherries.
12) Place the remaining cherries in the middle of the top layer carefully and they will spread some this is fine.
13) Take your one ounce of semi sweet chocolate and use a fine grater to grind up the chocolate and put some on top of the cake. A very light coating. Now grind some into your hand and throw at the sides of your cake.
14) Place in either the fridge for later or you can place in the freezer and thaw out for a later date.